Senior Legal Counsel
Your new company
The client is a leading commercial bank headquartered in Abu Dhabi, in the United Arab Emirates. The company is seeking a highly skilled and experienced lawyer, specialising in commercial and technology, to join the Group Legal Department.
Your new role
Reporting directly to the Head of Legal, you will be responsible for managing legal risks across multiple geographies in accordance with the group’s legal policies and procedures. The role holder will be required to work autonomously but should consult the head of legal office on any unusual situations, complex matters, and issues which may pose significant legal, financial and/or reputational risk to the group.
Your duties will include but not be limited to: -
- Take an active and lead role in advising on technology, digitisation, and related matters, which includes procurement, regulated outsourcing, privacy, and intellectual property.
- Draft, review and negotiate contracts and other legal documents, to include vendor contracts and contracts pertaining to material outsourcing, technology, services, consultancy and provide support to the bank in relation to vendor relations both in the UAE and internationally.
- Manage template legal agreements, contracts and standard terms and conditions for the bank and wider group in line with international best practices and applicable legal requirements.
- Assist the bank in launching new products and conducting legal and regulatory due diligence on such products, including identifying risks in relevant geographies.
- Advise on international privacy/data protection matters and all related subjects.
- Advise on the use of specific technologies for purposes such as e-identity, biometrics, encryption, RPA, and AI.
- Draft, review and advise on intra-group service contracts between Head Office and its subsidiaries and international branches.
- Advise the bank and other functions on any other non-customer-facing legal matters.
- Provide general legal advice and support for the business whilst keeping in mind the banks and the wider groups key strategies and objectives.
- Lead and manage all litigation and disputes pertaining to the relevant area of law both in the UAE and overseas.
- Represent the bank and the wider group before the Notaries Public, Court experts, Courts, and the police to resolve matters in the best interest of the bank.
- Stays up to date with the laws and regulations through continuous legal education, attending conferences and training events.
- Provide regular updates to senior stakeholders on new legislation and regulatory developments that may have an impact on the Bank and the wider group and advise on compliance with new legislation and regulations.
- Liaise with external law firms, stakeholders, and relevant authorities to ensure the effective resolution of all legal matters impacting the group.
- Act as a specialist consultant and provide input on learning and development initiatives to include internal training to ensure value addition and relevance.
- Managerial responsibilities include setting goals and KPIs for the team and ensuring effective implementation of the bank’s performance management process. Develop and bring on talent within the team by providing guidance and coaching to achieve defined goals.
What you'll need to succeed
- Bachelor’s Degree from a recognised/reputable university in law, master’s in law or equivalent.
- Qualified as a lawyer in the UK, USA, Australia, or a European jurisdiction.
- At least 6 years of in-house experience in a reputable financial institution or law firm.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and knowledge of Arabic is beneficial.
What you'll get in return
- Working for renowned commercial bank
- Tax-free salary + incentives inc. bonus